Werewolf
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Werewolf

A forum for hosting the parlor game Werewolf.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should scries have a climbing accuracy?

4 posters

Should scries have a climbing accuracy?

Should scries have a climbing accuracy? Vote_lcap73%Should scries have a climbing accuracy? Vote_rcap 73% [ 11 ]
Should scries have a climbing accuracy? Vote_lcap7%Should scries have a climbing accuracy? Vote_rcap 7% [ 1 ]
Should scries have a climbing accuracy? Vote_lcap20%Should scries have a climbing accuracy? Vote_rcap 20% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 15

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Should scries have a climbing accuracy? Empty Should scries have a climbing accuracy? Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:26 pm

Snail

Snail
Narwhal

Scries have a climbing percentage of accuracy.
Primary Scry - 75% base accuracy
Secondary Scry - 50% base accuracy

Your primary/secondary role will be given to you in your PM. Scrying the same person consecutively between nights will increase the accuracy by 25% for that person. Ex: The secondary scry starts at 50% accuracy, increasing to 75% on the second night, and 100% on the third night. This is specific to each person scried and must be consecutive.

The third option would be an accuracy that gets closer to 100% slowly but never quite reaches it, say, 75%, then 87.5%, then 93.75%, etc.

A climbing accuracy would give the villagers a guaranteed leverage point in their scries (and also be very dependent on them, as their only sure-fire "eyes"), meaning the wolves (and Devil particularly) would have to mobilize quickly to take out village scries. No climbing would reduce the effectiveness of scries, but would create the uncertainty that's characteristic of playing as a villager, and a shallow climb would be somewhere in the middle.

http://thatsnail.blogspot.com/

AlphaDecay90

AlphaDecay90
Narwhal

What if the shallow climb increases by 15% each time, capping at 95% after 4 scries. Don't know why, just feel that having a constant increase in scry accuracy is fairer, but capping at 95% maintains the air of unpredictability and doubt that makes this game so great.

http://heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa.com/

Snail

Snail
Narwhal

AlphaDecay90 wrote:What if the shallow climb increases by 15% each time, capping at 95% after 4 scries. Don't know why, just feel that having a constant increase in scry accuracy is fairer, but capping at 95% maintains the air of unpredictability and doubt that makes this game so great.
Feeling like a 15% increase is really slow and not worth it. Then again so is the shallow climb.

I can't keep adding poll options like this because otherwise the vote will split and the most polarized, obvious choices (Yes/No) will win even if they don't represent what people really want. If you guys want the 15% increase, 95% cap, I'll throw it in the poll.

The Mayor

The Mayor
Narwhal

AlphaDecay90 wrote:What if the shallow climb increases by 15% each time, capping at 95% after 4 scries. Don't know why, just feel that having a constant increase in scry accuracy is fairer, but capping at 95% maintains the air of unpredictability and doubt that makes this game so great.

Well it's not like the soft increase is uneven, it just increases from 1/2 to 3/4 to 7/8 to 15/16 and so forth.. Never 100% accurate but a predictable climb.

AlphaDecay90

AlphaDecay90
Narwhal

The Mayor wrote:

Well it's not like the soft increase is uneven, it just increases from 1/2 to 3/4 to 7/8 to 15/16 and so forth.. Never 100% accurate but a predictable climb.

Once again, just sharing my thoughts. Most importantly though I feel like a probability cap should be implemented, in case of the slow climb, at maybe 7/8 or 15/16.

The Mayor

The Mayor
Narwhal

AlphaDecay90 wrote:
The Mayor wrote:

Once again, just sharing my thoughts. Most importantly though I feel like a probability cap should be implemented, in case of the slow climb, at maybe 7/8 or 15/16.

I too do not like the idea of 100% accuracies... that's why i suggested the ever-more accurate but still never 100% accurate climb, but a cap is a second best option I suppose. I just don't like 100%'s ever. This game should not have certainty. That's one of it's hallmarks.

Snail

Snail
Narwhal

The thing is, with the shallow climb it doesn't make sense to scry the same person multiple times up to 75% since each night invested is less valuable than the night before (since the increase would halve each night). Better to scry as many people as possible.

The solid 15% climb fixes this a bit but it's still sort of slow. Actually, yeah I have no idea. Maybe we can mix the 95% cap with the 25% increase? Or something?

The Mayor

The Mayor
Narwhal

Snail wrote:The thing is, with the shallow climb it doesn't make sense to scry the same person multiple times up to 75% since each night invested is less valuable than the night before (since the increase would halve each night). Better to scry as many people as possible.

The solid 15% climb fixes this a bit but it's still sort of slow. Actually, yeah I have no idea. Maybe we can mix the 95% cap with the 25% increase? Or something?

While it's true that each consecutive scry is less of an increase in accuracy than the previous, at least there's still an incentive to continue on down scrying the same person.. while maybe you're only gaining a 12.5% increase in certainty, and then a 6.25% increase in certainty, the bottom line is that it's still a more accurate scry than ever before and pretty safe to place your faith in..

AlphaDecay90

AlphaDecay90
Narwhal

TheMayor wrote:I too do not like the idea of 100% accuracies... that's why i suggested the ever-more accurate but still never 100% accurate climb, but a cap is a second best option I suppose.

A cap doesn't have to be second best, we can do both: a slow climb with a set cap after maybe 3-5 scries.

Snail wrote:The solid 15% climb fixes this a bit but it's still sort of slow.

My point exactly. Also makes it a bit fairer to the villagers.

Snail wrote:Actually, yeah I have no idea.

So then put it up on the polls, and let everyone decide for themselves. The best choice will win.

Snail

Snail
Narwhal

AlphaDecay90 wrote:
So then put it up on the polls, and let everyone decide for themselves. The best choice will win.

I put up your option in the 24-48 hour day cycle poll because the votesplitting wouldn't be too harsh in that one. But this one we're literally raping the polls by splitting up the Yes/No groups right now. Seriously, look at the results. It's split between people who want guaranteed scries and people who don't want guaranteed scries, and the latter group is split in half.

Keeping it as it is for now unless people really start showing support for the 15%.

Slade

Slade
Narwhal

I would think no.

Lets say the game progresses and the scries are lets with 3-4 options only-

there's no "social" anything involved then because the scries can just select who the wolves are each and every time since their accuracy is so high.

The point of the game is the interactions between people giving scries SOME chance for the right answer is cool.. but once you're at 90-95% accuracy, I think it's too unbalanced.

Though I do like the idea of allowing the scries to instead have a 50% chance one day, to spend 2 days and get a 90-95% chance.
I don't think it should ever be 100% chance, just because there should always be that slim chance for error.

thank you

Snail

Snail
Narwhal

Slade wrote:I would think no.

there's no "social" anything involved then because the scries can just select who the wolves are each and every time since their accuracy is so high.

The point of the game is the interactions between people giving scries SOME chance for the right answer is cool.. but once you're at 90-95% accuracy, I think it's too unbalanced.

Though I do like the idea of allowing the scries to instead have a 50% chance one day, to spend 2 days and get a 90-95% chance.
I don't think it should ever be 100% chance, just because there should always be that slim chance for error.

thank you
Just want to clarify that it'd be 90-95% per person. So if you scry Tim for 3-4 nights, the accuracy jumps up to 95% or 100% or etc., but once you scry someone else the accuracy drops back to the base percentage.

Slade

Slade
Narwhal

Snail wrote:
Slade wrote:I would think no.

thank you

Very much clarifies. I thought you were discussing two different "climbing scales" - this makes sense now and yup, i'm cool with it.
Just want to clarify that it'd be 90-95% per person. So if you scry Tim for 3-4 nights, the accuracy jumps up to 95% or 100% or etc., but once you scry someone else the accuracy drops back to the base percentage.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum